The making of the “Why” video.
Later today I’m off to Phoenix for three days of intensive training with Dennis Yu and the Blitzmetrics team. If you didn’t already know, Dennis is my social media/data spirit animal, and is helping me work my way though this personal branding journey.
It seems like I’ve been doing a ton of prep work to get ready for this event. Everything from establishing my business email and public figure page on Facebook, to setting up Google AdWord and Tag Manager accounts. The ultimate goal of all of this is to lay down the foundation and kick start my personal brand.
Part of the process is creating my “Why” video. As often as I have been on stage performing as a musician or in a community theater production, you would think I’m comfortable in front of a camera. I really don’t like the sound of my voice recorded and the old adage that the camera adds pounds to you is no joke! But in order to move this personal branding thing forward, I need to suck it up.
The “Why” video is – why me? The steps to building my why have been laid out very clearly by Blitzmetrics.
- Start with a personal story that will connect your audience emotionally
- Make my “I Believe” statement connecting to my Why
- Who I am and what I do
This video concept sounds simple enough right? But how do I decide what experience I should connect myself to?
I narrowed my choices down to three:
- Adopted as an infant by a single American woman before it was cool to adopt children internationally.
- Went to an open call audition for performers to sing the National Anthem at PNC Park for the Pittsburgh Pirates and was selected.
- Was a stand in for Pocahontas at the mall.
When I post the video you’ll know which option I choose! Stay tuned! If you have an opinion about which one I should focus on, please leave a comment!